Friday, January 7, 2011

~Edwina The Emu~

It is fun to read children stories. Blimey,they help me to travel back into my childhood! I definitely love this feeling. In this case, I should really say that children stories are the best ever time machines on earth.

Edwina The Emu by Sheena Knowles is one of that kind of stories. Edwina is a female emu in this story. She was living a happy life with her lovely spouse, Edward and one fine day, she laid ten eggs. How am I going to bring up all my ten babies later? She was a little apprehended thinking of their future. She became emotional at once and requested her husband to take care of the eggs. She left the nest to look for a job. She found various types of jobs. Unfortunately, none was apt for her and came back home.Edwina realised her role as wife and mother; to take care of the family. She settled back at home and took care all her ten cute newborns. 

This story shows to children the love and perseverance of a mother. The willingness of a woman called mother to  sacrifice her time and energy to feed well her babies. At the same time, from my point of view as an adult, I think the story defines the conventional role of man and woman. I do not mean to condemn the statement wholly. Of course,women are the best care takers of children. However, it is significant to us that the role of man and woman has evolved. Women today have additional role despite being a wife and mother. They share half responsibility as breadwinner for their respective families. 

Knowles wrote the story in a rhythmic way to make sound interesting to attract children to keep their attention. It is indeed a creative way. I hope more humans on earth will get the chance to read this book and experience the joy blossoming from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment